Jazz Age Lawn Party at Governors Island
FALL JAZZ AGE LAWN PARTY ON GO VERNORS ISLAND
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2009
(Rain date: Sunday, Oct. 4th)
11:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Under a shady grove of centuries-old trees, caressed by fresh sea air, a sprawling green surrounded by historic officers’ quarters and 18th century naval ramparts becomes the setting for a true Gatsby affair. A recession-friendly $5 admission gives you access to one of the Fall’s most magnificent celebrations..
Widely anticipated by flappers, sporting gents and tiny tots alike, this event has been featured and reviewed consistently byThe New York Times and the Sartorialist.
A wide array of music, food & ; drink, activities, games and contests are open for all ages to enjoy:
– Picnickers are welcomed and encouraged.
– Tasty sandwiches and BBQ provided by Cercle Rouge.
– Authentic ’78 records from the 1920s played on a phonograph provided by Michael Cumella of WFMU’s Antique Phonograph Music Program.
– Charleston lessons given by dance legend Roddy Caravella of Sandra Cameron Dance Studio.
– 1920s Motorcar Exhibition – take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat; hold on to your hat!
– Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners – They will all be peddling wares, so be sure to tuck some cash into your garter.
– Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society.
– Bathing Beauties & Beaus Promenade
– Live dance performances
– Vintage portraits by R.A. Friedman.
– Tug O’ War
– Parade Of Hats
– Bake Sale!
– Pie Recipe Contest – Categories: “Mom’s Best,” “Best Savory,” “Most Deliciously Unusual,” and “Hobo’s Choice”. Special Prizes and coveted gift certificates to be awarded.
* If you’d like to sign up for the pie contest, you must pre-register by emailing Sarah Liston at [email protected].