#NYFW Backstage Beauty: Katie Gallagher SS17
Katie Gallagher’s Spring/Summer 2017 collection, Eclipse, marks the designer’s 15th collection – and of the 15, it’s her third all-black collection. Accordingly, the dark pieces are complemented by subtle details and a combination of textures in the construction – with the same themes woven throughout the beauty look. To create the hair style, Bobby Tochterman for amika created a tightly woven knot bun with a portion of hair left free flowing and textured.
To get the look:
- Create a right side part that extends from the crown to the apex. Dampen this section of hair and apply amika Haute Mess Texture Gel, sectioning off with a clip.
- Prep the rest of the hair with amika Un.Done Texture Spray and gather hair into a ponytail.
- Twist the length of the ponytail until it collapses onto itself to form a knot bun.
- Diffuse the top section of hair with a hairdryer to break up the gel. Drape this section of hair over to the left side (for Katie Gallagher SS17, the amika team then sewed the hair with thread to keep in place).
- Finish with amika Touchable Hairspray.
Elsewhere backstage, the Splat team prepped identical wigs (styled by Tochterman) that a selection of models donned, featuring the brand’s new Midnight Collection that launches exclusively at Target in October. Designed especially for dark hair, the liquid dye will come in Indigo, Amethyst, and Ruby shades.
Bradley Miller for MAC Cosmetics created the dark smoky eye that was offset by a shimmery highlight under the eyes. On nails, Sarah Nugyen for Floss Gloss mirrored the details of the collection by creating the illusion of mirrors on model’s nails and specks of black dotted along fingers and wrists.