Get the Look: Nina Dobrev at the 2014 VMAs
Before we dive into a breakdown of all the lust worthy looks from tonight’s Emmy Awards… let us not forget the stunning beauty that was Nina Dobrev at last night’s MTV VMAs.
Between her high tousled ponytail and coral lip that was spot on with the shade of her Zuhair Murad gown (which to our delight featured a mix of silk and leather?!), the actress’ look from head to toe seemed effortless – though we know it took some thoughtful prep. Below, a breakdown of the very efforts on part of Dobrev’s makeup artist Beau Nelson and hairstylist Riawna Capri that made the look come together… although our favorite fact is that Nina applied her own individual lashes with her fingers!
The makeup: Nelson kept the face neutral to emphasize the pop of coral on the lips (thanks to Jouer Hydrating Lipstick in Ava):
- On skin, she used Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint mixed with Armani Designer Lift to perfect Dobrev’s glowing skin, masking any redness using Cinema Secrets Concealer.
- She accentuated the brows with Anastasia Brow Pencil in Dark Brown and Brow Powder in Taupe. Cheeks were given a fresh flush with Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate and Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow, topped off with a sweep of NARS Multiple in South Beach.
- On the eyes, L’Oreal Carbon Black Mascara coated lashes and MAC Clear Lipglass was a unique choice to apply on the eyelids.
The hair: We love the texturized high ponytail Capri created for a coy finish on Dobrev’s look. To recreate it:
- Apply Garnier Fructis Sky-Hi Volume Mousse to damp hair before blowing out using a round brush.
- Tip from Capri: put two big rollers in the bang area to give extra lift at the roots. Spray Garnier Fructis Volumizing Anti-Humidity Hair Spray and pull hair into a high ponytail using a hook rubberband. You can easily hide the band by braiding a small section of hair into a skinny braid and wrapping it around the ponytail hook!
- Curl hair vertically (Capri used a 1 1/4 curling iron), leaving ends straight. Spritz Garnier Fructis De-Constructed Texture Tease Dry Touch Finish Spray to amp up the volume.
- Split the ponytail in half, teasing the top sections and roots for extra lift.
- Finish with Garnier Fructis Full Control Anti-Humidity Spray.