TFR Attends: USA Network Character Approved Awards
(Image thanks to binsidetv)
I braved the bitter snowstorm and walked for what felt like miles, this past Thursday to attend the USA Network and Vanity Fair Character Approved cocktail reception at the iconic IAC building. Though, a look inside provided no indication of the snowstorm that was happening outside as guest cheerily sipped bubbly, enjoyed passed hors d’oeuvres, and mingled among the notable crowd of famous faces.
The invite only awards gala was hosted by USA’s Mark Feuerstein, celebrated “characters” who are “top of their game,” said Chris McCumber, USA executive vice president. And, who are “making an impact on our culture today,” he further explained. The character chosen are from very fast fields but are celebrated by their peers, for their ability to inspire and influence the masses with fresh ideas.
Invited guests didn’t let the snowstorm get in their way of celebrating these luminaries. Snow be damn, because it didn’t keep many from attending the party. The IAC building was surprisingly packed with guests and bustling with excitement despite the undeniably bad weather; and, just for coming, guest were treated to a special performance from Green Day’s “American “Idiot” ahead of the show’s Broadway debut on Wednesday, March 24.
A menagerie of famous faces were spotted having a good time. I spotted musician Ryan Leslie walking hand with a lanky model, actress Tamara Tunie, actor Dule Hill, Sharif Atkins, actress Saffron Burrows, a glowing and pregnant Tiffani Thiessen, actor William Garson who gushed about his newly adopted son, among others including the honorees listed below.
* Green Day, Grammy Award-winning rock band (Music)
* Kathryn Bigelow, Academy Award-nominated film director, “The Hurt Locker” (Film/TV)
* Nora Ephron, best-selling novelist, Academy Award-nominated screenwriter and playwright (Writing)
* Narciso Rodriguez, multiple award-winning American fashion designer (Fashion)
* Angela Brooks, groundbreaking sustainable architect, principal of Pugh + Scarpa Architects (Architecture)
* Kehinde Wiley, revolutionary urban arts painter (Art)
* Yves Behar, innovative industrial designer of the Jawbone Bluetooth headset and the $100 XO laptop (Design)
* Dan Barber, renowned restaurateur, Blue Hill and Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture (Food)
* Jessica Jackley, social entrepreneur and microfinancier, co-founder Kiva.org (Giving)
* Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy, game creators of Guitar Hero and Rock Band (New Media/Technology)